Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Favorite Albums

There are a few albums that I can listen to over and over again, just like movies.
Okay, so that's not exactly true. There are several that I can listen to over and over again (and tons of movies I can watch on repeat without getting annoyed or bored. Right now it's "How To Train Your Dragon.").

I am currently listening to one of them. It's an album that my sister made me for my 28th birthday. It is one of 4 cds, inside joke cds you could call them. They revolve around a certain book we used to swoon over (before realizing how awful they really were). One revolves around how heartbroken someone is, one is about how he's dealing with his decision to break up, one is all about being in love with your best friend, and one is just a bunch of random 90s rap songs. F-ing awesome.

I'm listening to the bff cd. Some of the songs are Interpol, TV on the Radio, Death Cab for Cutie, Cold War Kids, The Magnetic Fields, and Guided by Voices. They really are amazing songs. Sure, there has been a few times when I've listened to the album with other intentions, but most of the time it's just a good listen. I mean, the Pixies are on this mix.

The point is, there are those albums, those bands even, that you love so much that you just connect with and dance in your seat. The songs that when you listen to them you are transported to another time when you heard the song or the lyrics remind you of a place. It's all about the power of music.

That's why music is such an important player, in my opinion, in a movie. If it done well, you don't even notice, but if it's done bad you can't pay attention to anything but. Then there's the ones that don't use any music at all and can still evoke emotion.

Granted, there is the other side of the coin with the songs that just are bad. They don't have a good beat, their lyrics are lame, and you just can't wait to turn it off.
Then again, if they are still making music, some one have to like them, right? Maybe they don't like the music I listen to and can't wait to turn off Band of Horses. Music is objective after all.

No matter what way you look at it, music is one of those creative means that makes many people smile. I love it, and I love listening to "She Will Be...The Death of Me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment