Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Uh...

I had a great topic to talk about today, one that I thought would be thought provoking and would be something worth writing. Of course, I can't remember what it was. Oh, yes, yes I do. I'm not going to change the title, or this beginning. It's interesting that we can plow through our brain, retrace our thoughts to try to remember something, and then it pops in your mind out of no where.

What I wanted to talk about was sports. Okay, so maybe it won't be as thought provoking as I mentioned, but it'll make you think nonetheless.

I'm a supporter of sports teams. I'm a huge UT football fan. I bleed orange, fa sho! I also support the Vancouver Canucks. I love watching the Olympics, and even watched the World Cup last year. I've seen my share of basketball and volleyball games, and have even been to a few baseball games. I even sort of pay attention to rankings and what's going on in each sport.

I'm not a huge fan of various teams, though. I'll watch the sport and enjoy it, but the only teams I actively support are the Horns and Canucks. This made me think; what's the point.

Unless you are betting on the games, or are players on said teams, as a fan it really doesn't matter if they win or lose.

Sure, you can have your fantasy leagues or bragging rights, but as far as your every day life it doesn't matter. Having your favorite team win won't determine whether you get the promotion or not, or whether your best friend is going to have dinner with you that night. (Yes, you can debate they will or not depending on if a game is showing, but that's besides the point.) So, if the majority of the population won't be directly affected, why are we such a sports obsessed culture?

I have no idea other than it makes us happy. It's fun to watch games, especially if you like to play sports yourself. The people who like to watch sports are usually active anyway, so it's just an extension of who they are. It's just an interest people have. There really isn't a right or a wrong answer, this is more rhetorical anyway. (Obviously...)

What made me think about this was the fact that I'm totally involved in the Stanley Cup finals. A huge reason of this is because the Canucks are in the playoffs. (Only one more round! Come on Canucks!!) This really doesn't effect me because I'm in Texas, far away from the cool breeze of the Pacific Northwest. No one, other than my mom, is watching the games with me. Half the time I find out the final score either through my app (totally have a Canucks app) or the paper. I mean, I have watched my share of games, but you know.

Anyways, me being a Canucks fan isn't going to help me finish my script or make me have new friends. Well, I take that back. I might meet some new people because of my interesting love of the Canucks. That would be awesome, wouldn't it? Besides the point...
It's just something that I enjoy doing. Watching hockey games are fun, and it's not just because there are some major hits in this sport. It's watching skilled people executing their talent for the masses.

This could of been just a total waste of time. Of course people are going to be into sports even if they are effected by the outcome or not. It's just an interest. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment