Friday, May 20, 2011

The Rapture

Apparently tomorrow is Judgement Day, May 21 2011. This is the day, that according to the Bible, that Jesus will come back down to earth to bring his true followers to Heaven and leave the rest to torture before the end of the world 5 months later.

I'm a little freaked out.
I mean, I grew up Catholic (and still identify with some of the religion) and that fear (sadly) was part of it. (So was guilt, and we definitely won't talk about that.) There has always been a high level of mysticism placed around Jesus, as well as the second coming. But it's hard for me to believe that Jesus would be that vindictive.

Of course, I'm not a fundamentalist and not one who takes the Bible word for word, so obviously I see things in a different light.
Even so, part of me wonders what will really happen tomorrow.

Maybe this is selfish to think, but some things in my life are finally starting to work out, and it's hard for me to believe that I'm going to have those snatched away from me as soon as they are presented to me.
On the other hand, I can think of a way for the next 5 months to be torturous for me based on other areas of my life.

As I'm assuming you're noticing, I'm assuming I'll be one of the dammed. Not that I think that I've lived a sinful life, because I haven't...at all. However, I've also not lived my life according to the way you're suppose to if you follow the Bible and religion to a tee.
What way is right, though? Who is to say that I'm living closer to the way of the Lord than those to take it literally. I don't want to get into a heated religious debate, but there are questions.

Anyways, so tomorrow is when the Saved are going to be brought up to Heaven while the rest are left on Earth to suffer. Okay. What's that going to look like? I guess no ones knows, just that it's going to happen. But what's going to happen to those who believe this so much when it doesn't happen to them? That's what I'm beginning to fear more.

I don't think if I survive the day tomorrow that I'm going to Hell. (Of course, if my friends and family and I do survive, I guess that means we'll all be in Hell together.) I don't think the world is going to end any time soon, not now or Oct 21 or Dec 2012.
But what are those people going to do who did think so? Are they going to change their belief? Are they going to change their expectations for the actual day? Was there a delay at the TSA line? (sorry, probably a bad joke) I guess the only thing we can do is wait. Wait and see what really is going to happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment