Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SXSW 2 Oceans 11

I had an amazing time at this years SXSW. I usually do, it's an excuse for my friends and I to go downtown and have a good time, and I'm also on Spring Break from work so it's super awesome. By the end of it, each year, I'm ready for my city to come back to normal and for the hoards of people to leave. Maybe it's the snob in me, maybe it's because we are over-run with people who think they are more important than they are, either way a week is long enough for SXSW. This year a week was just the perfect length of time. I was out every night, the whole 10 days, doing stuff. Not only of it was 'work' related, true, but I was still doing stuff.

As mentioned in a previous post, we were going to get badges. This, however, did not work out. It was incredibly nice of our contact to help us out, but there was miscommunication and the badges ended up falling through. I was a bit bummed, I wasn't going to be able to see any of my comedians and podcast taping that I had hoped to see. Other than that though, we were able to do what we needed to do and had a great time doing it, so it didn't end up being a big deal.

We interviewed several people from each industry area: film, music, interactive. I met some amazing people, not only did I make great contacts with, but whom I also became friends with. Went to some great parties, saw some great movies/music, and also got to spend some time with those near and dear to my heart. It was a new experience for me since I was doing interviews and working and also making contacts, and it couldn't of been a better experience.

Things like that have happened a lot in the last year. I've randomly met some great people through unlikely connections, and they not only have turned out to be friends but they have also turned out to be a great industry contact and whom I work well with. It's the greatest feeling when you randomly make a connection and realize this is exactly what you're looking for. Makes you really believe that things happen for a reason, when they are suppose to happen.

Anyways, back to the things I enjoyed, which you can now direct your attention to the movies and music pages of this blog to find out a little more on each of these areas. I didn't get a chance to do as much as I wanted to do, especially with Day Shows, but I still walked away with some awesome material.

Next year we plan to blow it up in our own way and have our own SXSW showcase. Why shouldn't we? Between all the new connections and current workers we make a pretty well rounded group. I look forward to not only showcasing my/our talent, but to experience the fun of SXSW.

No comments:

Post a Comment