Friday, April 1, 2011

Remakes

I'll just get right into it. I don't think remakes need to happen. There are some films that don't need to be messed with. Some films are so bad and cheesy they need to stay that way because they are brilliant.

There are tons of remakes being made recently. There seems to be one coming out every other week, actually. I understand the desire to modernize films of your youth with modern technology, but come on! Not everything needs to be redone for the 21st century.
This idea has been stirring in my brain for quite a while, but with the release of the new Conan trailer, I had to tell someone.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And along with that, I know I have to admit that there are times that I'm interested in seeing a remake (Predators was one, even though I haven't seen it yet.). I'm not even sure if you've seen the Conan trailer, but man it's bad.

The movie look annoying, Conan is not nearly as awesomely bad as Arnold, and the whole smoke and mirrors crap is just plain stupid. Maybe they were hinting at the idea of there being more of a supernatural element to this version, maybe they thought that mysticism would be intriguing. Either way, in my mind, they failed because I'm not even remotely interested in seeing the film.

There is something enduring in the old, original Conan. Sure, they weren't that advanced in special effects or movie tricks, but as Star Wars has proved to us newer isn't always better. Conan was the movie it was because of Arnold and you can't have a Conan without having Arnold.

While I have a definite opinion on remakes, I don't know how I feel about reboots. I think that some are interesting and don't mind them. For example, I love the Nolan/Bale Batman and think it's an interesting take on a classic superhero. However, I don't agree with the reboot of Spiderman or Fantastic Four, it's too soon and the recent ones weren't that bad. Okay, so Spiderman 3 was pretty bad.

I have a huge problem with reboots done based on monetary reasons. Fantastic Four didn't make enough money, was as big of a hit as they had become, so they decided to redo it. I do agree with the fact, for this movie, that Alba was miscast and it would of be interesting to see someone else in the role, but not if it means a whole new movie. One more thing, Michael Chiklis is The Thing!

I think it's interesting when you take a new direction with these men/stories. I guess that's why I'm okay with it. I don't think Nolan/Bale is any better than Burton/Keaton, and we'll forget about the ones in between, but different. I like the difference between the two, not to mention that Nolan/Bale is a prequel so to speak (yeah, I know Joker was in both).

That's what I hate most about the Hollywood system, the money issues. I understand that movies cost a lot and in order to make it worthwhile and for a production company to survive they have to make something back, but that doesn't mean they have to dumb down a story. Indies are some of the best films out there, why can't they see that they do well too. Then again, movies are for the masses and indies usually aren't. Thank goodness for those indie folks who keep striving away. I love y'all!

Somehow I've gotten way off topic. Or is this what is suppose to happen with writing exercises. You start on one topic then move to the next. Who knows. I will end it with this, though. Movies that are so bad they are good need to be left alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment