Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Write Now, Edit Later

That's what I keep telling myself. I just need to get the ideas in my head on paper, and then once I have that done I can go back later with a fine tooth comb. Cross the tee's, dot the...lowercase jays.

We don't have a lot of work to do right now, thank you TAKS, so I'm free to write during the day. I've written a lot in the past two days. 28 pages to be exact. That may not seem like all that much, but it is. I'm done with Act I, well into Act II, and still have my climactic Act II ahead.

Act II, as it usually does, is causing me problems. Well, not so much problems, but just not sure it's playing out like it should. That is where this title comes into play: write now, edit later. I think it's shaping up to be something great. I know what scene I will write to push it into Act III, so as long as I write towards that scene, I should be good.

Even though I have most of the scenes laid out for me, a blueprint of the script, things still pop up and the characters are shaping the story. For example, I have two characters that 'told me' that they had a relationship together back in the day. A relationship they never fully got to explore, so to some extent are not over and still consider each other 'the what-if.' I didn't mean for them to have much interaction, but somehow through writing it came out. I like this new element, and it brings some more conflict. Conflict, that if done right, could be really good.

I really hope this turns out to be a good script. I love the concept and story, I just hope I can do it justice. I'm happy with it, don't get me wrong, but I also know that it can be so much better.
I guess, though, in the long run that's a good thing. It's a good thing that I know that I can write the shit out of this script. That I am indeed writing the first draft, that I each draft after this one will get better and better.

Write now, edit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment